Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Cable Company is a Butthole

So, I am at work and my job has cable for the clients to utilize while they stay here. Unfortunately, the cable box that receives the satellite information is dead. Completely whipped out, this doesn’t make my clients too happy. Its Sunday which means the normal person who has the authority to deal with this problem is off today.

I decide after prompts from the clients to contact the cable company in order to get it fixed. I contact the normal person who deals with this on her day off to get permission. I get on the phone with customer service and go through the prompts of trying to fix the problem. We unplug the box we plug it back in. We fiddle with buttons and my patience wanes as I already know the problem. In the end, the customer service rep finally lets me speak with the technical service support.

Long story short, they will come out and replace the cable box, but only if we agree to sign up for another year of service. Why? Because the cable box is only under warranty for 90 days and ironically the warranty expired about a week ago. :(. Although we have a contract with the cable company for one year, which expires November of this year, we would have to sign up, for an additional year. This would mean we would pay $30 for the new cable box, $120 for the service fee to install it, and only get 90 more days of warranty on the new cable box.

Get that?

What happen to customer rights in this nation? I don’t understand why we would need to sign up for an additional year, if the product can’t last for the first year of service. It’s not just the cable companies either who try and rob us of every last penny either. They trail slightly behind the cell phone companies in corruptive, money gouging practices. Um, that’s just an opinion, but I bet if I took a poll, most folks would concur.

I don’t know about every body else out there, but this down right pisses me off. I asked the cable company if they provide extended warranties or insurance for their products in the event that they died. I was told in very unclear terms that they do not. WTF!

Yep, the cable company is a butthole.

No comments: