Friday, August 21, 2009

Sketchbook: Sundry Steps on a Marrow’d Path

I fumble with rooks in my palm. Flipping each between my fingers like a panhandler with a quarter,I slip my tips into their bare underbelly one at a time. Becoming their marrow, I tap my thimbles against the desk. The queen remembers her fear of exposure while sifting through the first spring of hope. Everything we did was done again down to the words said. I ask myself if there is solace in knowing it was all just a Xeroxed copy of us. Illuminescent eyes while sucking the honey dripping. Sigh. Plucking each rook off the fingers one at a time, sucking in my breath, I command them each to take two steps forward. I call out my horsemen next to ride this night sky and bring me back the king.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your sketch book thread. Nice writing.

The Communion with Anger piece was a excellent read as well.

Keep it up GoGo!

Jackie

human being said...

great accounts of life through chess imagery... both this post and the one on queen being exposed... not just because it becomes more dramatic... i becomes more palpable...
i relate much... especially to that part about leting go of the control...

beauuuutiful piece!